Surrogate Mother Step-by-Step
At the Center for Surrogate Parenting, Inc., (CSP), our surrogate mothers have the opportunity to help intended parents receive the greatest gift of all: a newborn baby. If you have been pregnant and given birth before, you know more or less what to expect as far as the actual pregnancy goes. But when you are a surrogate, there are also many differences you will experience during the process. If you are considering becoming a surrogate mother in our program, we want you to know exactly what to expect and we want you to have access to all the resources you need.
- Please complete the Surrogate Application on our website. Once reviewed and if approved, you will be contacted to set up a phone interview by your Surrogate Mother Coordinator. This call will cover the screening process, expectations and requirements to be completed in order to be matched with in our program.
- You will have a Counselor assigned to your case who will do a full interview, including testing. Participation in a support group meeting with other surrogate mothers is part of our surrogacy process.
This process, although it may seem complicated, is in place to protect you and your family. You can expect this first phase to take from 2 to 4 months. It is important that you and your family have all the time you need to process the information you will receive from us. We are prepared to move at a pace set by you. Much of the timing depends on you and how motivated you are to get started!
- Once your paperwork and your psychological screening with your counselor is complete, we will present you with potential matches for you to review. You will have a choice who you wish to help. We will continue to look for just the right match for you, as we feel this is the beginning of what will hopefully be a wonderful journey.
- You will meet the intended parents either via skype or in person to determine if this indeed is a good match. If all parties agree to work together, then legal contracts will be drawn up. You will have an independent legal consultation to review the contract with you.
- You will be sent to the IVF clinic that your intended parents are working with for a full exam and medical clearance. The doctors we work with are very experienced in third party reproduction and might require additional testing other than what CSP has previously done.
- Once medically cleared by the IVF doctor, you will be given a calendar for your medication cycle and a potential embryo transfer date. You will work closely with the clinic and CSP during this process to ensure the best possible chance for success.
- One of the most exciting moments for a surrogate mother is when she is confirmed pregnant. The next few weeks will be filled with more tests and finally an ultrasound to determine the pregnancy has a heartbeat.
- While you will still be under the care of the IVF doctor, please establish an appointment with your OB for approximately 10 weeks. Your IVF doctor will release you around this time and you will need to have your first trimester screening done by your own OB.
- The remainder of the pregnancy will be very similar to your own, as you will continue to see your own MD and deliver at the hospital near you. Your intended parents will come to as many appointments as they can and will soon get to experience the birth of hopefully their baby!
- Almost every surrogate mother returns to her group support meeting as soon as possible to share her birth story. This is often one of the highlights a woman experiences as a surrogate mother. You can share the accomplishment of your goal and offer inspiration to the friends you have made in the group. Very often surrogate moms make new friends with other surrogate moms for life in group support meetings!"I could have never known how becoming a surrogate was going to change my life. The journey is amazing and the gift of giving a child to a Mom and Dad who couldn't have a child of their own is indescribable! In fact, I just decided to do it one more time!" - Melissa
"A very positive experience. Of all the things I've done in my life, this is the one that will last more than a lifetime. Because of me, three very special people are in the world and will go on to have children of their own!" - Terry (helped her intended parents to have 3 children!)