Expert guidance for first-time surrogates
With decades of experience, our surrogacy agency has supported countless first-time surrogates through the heartwarming process of helping hopeful parents welcome their babies. If you’ve decided to embark on this extraordinary journey, we applaud you and hope to provide you with our compassionate and knowledgeable guidance.
The first steps for first-time surrogates
After you make the life-changing decision to become a surrogate, it’s easy to begin by applying to start your pre-screening process through the Center for Surrogate Parenting.
- Confirm you meet our requirements. Before completing an application with our surrogacy agency, confirm that you are a healthy woman between the ages of 21 and 41, have at least one child who you are currently raising, and are financially stable and have a source of income (in addition to any government assistance you may be receiving).
CSP also requires that our gestational surrogates are non-smokers, free of medications for anxiety or depression for at least one year under doctor guidance, and have a BMI of 31 or less. In addition to ensuring that surrogacy is safe for you and your family, meeting these requirements indicates that you’ll be able to support a successful pregnancy and carry through your commitment to the parents with whom you are matched.
- Complete the gestational surrogate application. After you’ve made sure you meet our requirements for first-time surrogates, please complete our application to become a CSP surrogate.
Taking the next steps as a first-time surrogate
Once the application is completed, first-time surrogates can take the next steps on their amazing journey to being matched with a hopeful parent or parents to help them create the family they have always dreamed of.
- Phone consultation. Once your application has been accepted, a surrogate coordinator will schedule a phone interview. This important conversation will help you understand the CSP screening process for gestational surrogates, as well as the requirements you’ll be expected to meet throughout the process. Please come to this meeting ready to ask any and all questions, as our knowledgeable team is here to provide all the information you need to feel entirely comfortable before moving ahead.
- Counselor phone interview. Next, you’ll have a phone call with a counselor, who will talk with you to ensure that you are mentally and physically prepared for the demands of gestational surrogacy.
- Health screening. To verify that surrogacy is safe for both you and the baby you will be carrying, you and your partner will both undergo blood and urine testing to screen for social diseases, drugs and nicotine. At this time, we will also confirm that you’ve had a recent Pap test and a physical.
- The match. When the evaluations are complete, and we’ve confirmed that you are physically and emotionally ready to move forward with surrogacy, the exciting part begins! We help facilitate the ideal match with the people who can’t wait to meet you and thank you for helping them achieve their dream of parenthood. Because this is such an important relationship, we allow you to select the hopeful parents who you would like to help.
While we make sure to move at a pace that you’re comfortable with, this initial phase usually takes two to four months. Many first-time surrogates appreciate this time, as it gives them a chance to process the information, plan ahead, and make an informed decision about which parents they would like to work with.
We’re here to help
As you move through the rewarding first steps of becoming a gestational surrogate, we encourage you to reach out with any questions or concerns. We understand that first-time surrogates are navigating a whole new world of information and decisions, and we want to make sure you feel supported in every way. Contact us for more information about becoming a surrogate at CSP.
Learn About Surrogacy with CSP